Saturday, April 9, 2011

Review- Stork by Wendy Delsol

Stork @ Goodreads
Stork 
by Wendy Delsol
Publisher:  Candlewick
Published: Oct. 12, 2010

"Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.
Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life."
synopsis from Goodreads


I first picked up Stork at the library because the cover seemed interesting. Yes, I'm some what of a cover snob not always but some times I just can't help it. So back to Stork I thought the girl in the picture had amazingly white blond hair and I loved it, but at the same time the background and the hand made me think it was a Christmas story or some thing like that.  I wasn't sure about getting this book, but after reading the synopsis and I thought it sounded interesting enough to give it a try.

Oh yeah that's a Stork!
I wasn't expecting the story I got, sure I'd said I'd give Stork a try but from the moment I started reading it I just couln't put it down. The main characters  Katla and Jack were not what I had expected. She at first is too snobby to full of herself and even crazier shes a Stork or at least part of its society. He is sort of weird/ creepy not exactly the kind of characters I fall for normally. Katla has to move to Minnesota and leaves every thing she loves when her parents split up. I was some what annoyed by her at the beginning of the story, she was constantly think of herself as too good for every one there. Later though when I though about it I realized how hard it could be for her to like the place after all why would she like Minnesota or any one in there if she'd come against her will? Jack was mysterious, he was that quiet but intense guy you some times see on T.V. That guy that even when you want to hate him you also want him to love you. It's hard because you don't know if his thoughts are good or bad and that's what Jack was he was a mystery.

  Description of Jack? lol

"I'd always liked the unexpected combination of blue eyes and dark hair..."   Who doesn't yum!
"By this point he had me so flustered he was starting to look like a cross between my afi, Jack Sparrow, and Bono" (pg.21) I think I could live with the Jack Sparrow and even Bono similarities but bringing her Granpa (afi) in to the mix is just weird lol

Wendy's Stork story was beyond original I've read about vampires, werewolves, fairy, and trolls but never had I read about storks.  I loved that the story's twits and plot weren't some thing I could predict even when I tried I was off on my predictions. I really enjoyed how I wasn't able to predict the actions and reactions a character would make. I liked Penny, a girl that becomes Katla's first friend, she was nice and understanding even in situations I wouldn't have been. There is a scene where I was sure Penny would hit or yell at Katla but instead she handles the situation perfectly.  It could just be that I've read too many stories where if a situation like that happens it always ends up ugly, that Penny's reaction threw me off for a bit but in a good way.

Since I don't like giving spoilers on my blog this is all I will be saying about Stork I hope my review has inspired you to at least check it out. I wish I could tell more reasons why I loved reading Stork apart from the romance and mystery but unfortunately that would give away too much lol. 

Over all this book is a must read even if the cover doesn't appeal as much to you or the synopsis seems like it isn't your style give it a try I did and now I can't wait to read its sequel Frost coming out Oct. 11 2011.  I know Stork deserves a 6/5  but I only have till 5 so here it is: a Truly Swoon Worthy rating!!!





Hope you will pick up a copy or Stork by Wendy Delsol and look forward to a review of Genaration dead by Daniel Waters soon.

                               as always ,Carol


No comments:

Post a Comment

Truly Swoon worthy responses