Friday, April 1, 2011

Review of Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

 Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & monsters #1)
By: Kelly Keaton
Published: Feb 22nd, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse

"Ari can't help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can't be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is. 
Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it's impossible to protect herself when she doesn't know what she's running from or why she is being pursued. 
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her. 
Ari won't stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed. " Summary from Goodreads


I truly enjoyed reading Darkness Becomes Her from Kelly Keaton, it had some of the things I love most in a book. There was the Greek Mythology/paranormal  plot that just sucked me in, the awesome book cover that made me pause enough to read the summary and want to read more,  the mysterious characters and a plot that always kept me guessing.

Kelly Keaton created unique characters all with their own individual personality. Ari was mysterious till the end she was strong even when she was afraid and could really kick some booty.  Then there's Crank who gives her a ride into New 2 and who first invites her to live with them it's thanks to her we get to meet all the others. Sebastian,  who is Hot beyond belief ( at least in my book lol) and is as mysterious as she is. Henry who, to me at least, seemed the most calm and normal of all of them (if normal was possible). Dub who is full of energy and Violet who is intense in a quiet sort of way. I have to say from all the characters in that house I liked Violet the most she was quiet and mysterious, she had a pet alligator named Pascal and was loyal to the core. I don't want to give all the details about them but lets just say they were characters definitely worth reading about.

We meet the Novem the founders of New 2 and just like New 2 they were not what I had expected. I had thought New 2 would be a sad place to live at least by the way it's first talked about but I was pleasantly surprised to find otherwise. The detail Kelly gives when describing New 2 is really amazing. In Darkness becomes her I feel we barely scratch the surface of the Novem after all we now know this book is part of a series.

I have to say the only thing I didn't love that much about this book was how frequently F-bombs were dropped.   There were times I felt it wasn't needed or there could have been a different word to describe Ari's frustration. Apart from that I loved every page and would definitely recommend this book over all I give  Darkness Become Her a:

 


Hope you enjoyed this review and leave a comment if you so wish to.

                                 as always , Carol

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I have this one on my TBR pile...

    BTW I love this new font you have choosen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower. Is it good to be the 13th follower?!? Here's my In My Mailbox post this week:

    http://bookbelle0819.blogspot.com/2011/04/in-my-mailbox.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. I'll hve to add it to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

Truly Swoon worthy responses